“But blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit." Jeremiah 17:7-8

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Who Are You Pleasing?

Galatians 1:10 "For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God?
Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ."

Colossians 2:9-10 " For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 10 and IN CHRIST YOU HAVE BEEN BROUGHT TO FULLNESS. He
is the head over every power and authority. "

My entire life I have been trying to 'perform' for people. My parents, my teachers, my coaches, and my husband. I have a very competitive nature and WINNING and BEING THE BEST at everything I attempted was the main goal. If I wasn't winning, making straight A's, or being the perfect wife....I was failing. I placed my worth and value in my trophies, crowns, and titles won. I always had an audience who praised me and people I was constantly performing for.

After I left college and no longer had an audience watching me, I felt a void. I sought out coaching cheerleading, partially because I needed a source for my love, joy, and peace and wasn't finding that in God. My team, the parents, and the school were now my audience who I was performing for to please. My self worth was based on WHO I WAS IN THEIR EYES...WHO I WAS IN MICHAEL'S EYES...WHO I WAS IN MY PARENTS EYES. I needed people to praise me because I didn't have a clear understanding of WHO I WAS IN CHRIST. (I am an heir to the kingdom of God and that makes me royalty! I am worth dying for.)

Understanding now that Christ doesn't call us to be 'perfect' and 'perform' for other people, I am learning who I am in Christ. Knowing my value in God's eyes frees me from the burden and pressure of trying so hard to please everyone else. I read a quote not too long ago that said, "Maturity in Christ is shown in who you are willing to
disappoint." Think about that...the more confident I can be in who I
am in Christ, the less worried I will be concerning which parent, friend, or co-worker I might disappoint. I am not living to please them...my worth is not devalued if they think less of me!!

Col 2:10 says "...IN CHRIST YOU HAVE BEEN BROUGHT TO FULLNESS..." I am not made complete and perfect in that dream job, in having another child, or finally getting to a certain point in life where I think I have 'made it'. It's in CHRIST and Christ alone that I am made full.
He is more concerned about my heart and the improvements I'm trying to
make on that than He is with my worldly achievements.

I shouldn't create this "audience" of followers I feel I have on Facebook, Blogger, my website, or anywhere else. My worth is not in how many likes I have, how many fans I have, or any of that. They are not who I should perform for....they are not who I should strive to please or entertain. It's Christ, and Christ alone.

I have an audience of ONE....and that's God. He's the only one I should be concerned with.

No comments:

Post a Comment